Thursday, November 13, 2014

Lit Analysis #2

  In the book, Sister Carrie, the story explains that an eighteen-year-old girl named Caroline Meeber, Sister Carrie, moves from her home in Wisconsin, and moves to Chicago to live with her sister. She meets a guy named Charles H. Drouet on the train ride, and they exchange addresses to meet again. She becomes very poor and miserable while living with her sister, and she cannot find work. She then finds Drouet again and he promises to marry and take care of her. They moved in together, but did not get married. Drouet introduces her to his friend named George W. Hurstwood, who was a rich, attractive, middle-aged man, who saw the beauty of Caroline. He fell in love with her and they eventually have an affair. He then stole some money, left his wife, and tricked Caroline into running away with him. They grew poor and Caroline saw Hurstwood as a pathetic old man, and left him. Hurstwood grew miserable and committed suicide while Caroline grew wealthy and became an actress.
  The main theme of this topic is social standing. Throughout the book, all Carrie wanted was wealth and fame. Hurstwood lost his social standing when he stole money from his job and left the country with it. The author chose to write this topic because of the Great Depression, I believe.
  The protagonist is dynamic and round. The book was based on Caroline. You can read her thoughts and how she feels about things. Everywhere she was, you were. Another important character is Drouet. He is important because he started Carrie off in the acting world. If she had not have met him, she would've still been poor.
  One significant symbol in this book was that there was a lot of imagery all throughout this book. The characters are all caught up in their thoughts. There is dialogue, but when they think and they're mysterious about things, that's what's more interesting, also how they look at things that are around them.
 I chose this book because it stood out to me the most. The name of the book made me curious. I looked it up on Google and I read the plot, and it said that is had a little romance in it, which I love. It made me want to keep reading once I began because the beginning started off immediately which action. It didn't have a boring intro, like some books.
 One connection in the book I made was about how Carrie felt about people around her who were so rich, and that wore luxurious clothing. I sometimes feel that way. I want what other people have, I envy them. I ask, why them and not me? She thought that if she could have those things she would be happy. That's how I felt.
  One idea from this book that I expect to remember for a long time is that when the author stated, "A half-equipped little knight she was",(Dreiser). This meant to me that you don't need anybody else to help you do what you want to do, sometimes Caroline relied on men to take care if her and make her become rich. Sometime you just have to be an independent person.

No comments:

Post a Comment